When Veronica of sewVery asked me to participate in her sewVery Sunny Day dress/shirt pattern testing, I felt a little over my head…why oh why did I agree but it ends up that even a sewing “hacker” like me can pull off a beautiful dress if I have the right fabric (and of course the right model)!
The sewVery Sunny Day dress and shirt pattern is an electronic pattern that can be made into a dress or a shirt and either can be made with our without a ruffle on the front. When I did the pattern testing, I received permission to test a size 10 with the ruffle. My first attempt was with a very slippery material for Amalia. I didn’t think my 9 1/2 year old would like the ruffles but when I finished it, the thing she liked the most was the ruffle on the front! Who knew?!
The dress/shirt is backless and has elastic at the bottom to help keep it up. My girls are all about backless in the summer.
(for our adoption friends, the print is matryoshka! – another thing my girls are all about!)
The pattern prints on 8 pages that you tile together. One thing I liked was that the front, front lining and the back are all on one page. Trace off the 3 pieces and …bam…one dress or shirt coming up.
After the testing period, Veronica sent all of the testers a copy of the full pattern. If you want a copy, Veronica of sewVery has it on sale here.
Addison was so jealous of Amalia’s shirt, my next up was a dress for her. I decided to use this printed lightweight denim that I had found at Hancock’s on the clearance table. I think it was $1 / yard and I bought the whole bolt thinking I could make the girls a denim coat and maybe pants for the school year. NO more slippy slidey fabric for me – too fiddly for a quick summer dress.
It was definitely easier to make the dress after having made one before. Both girls decided that they wanted a dress this time – and both still wanted the ruffle on the front – so, I obliged them and made one for both girls! It took me an afternoon. This time I cut the size 8 for both girls and just made the elastic shorter. Through the testing process, Veronica had recommended trying on the dress/shirt with the elastic size recommended and then adjust it to fit. I ended up cutting off about 2 inches for Addison and 1 inch for Amalia.
She loved it so much that she sat down as I was finishing up and pulled out her sewing machine and made herself a headband! She was so proud to wear it to daycare the next day!
She is a ham when it comes to getting pictures taken. And when it is a ruffled, backless dress and headband that she made herself…well, it is hard to keep her down! But this dress is definitely a winner if her smile is any indication!
If you want to purchase the pattern (and I recommend you do!) you can go to the sewVery Craftsy page. Stop by the Sunny Day Dress & Top Pattern Tour sites over the next week to see all the other versions of the dress and to see some of the “non-ruffled” versions as well!