I asked my kids to give me some alone time for Mother’s Day so I could head into the sewing area and get some things done. I have been trying some new patterns and had several things cut out and ready to go.
First up is this Lekala Shirt #5809.
Lekala is a international sewing company. They have specifically designed patterns that you download (after putting in your measurements), print, and then cut out. I had cut this out probably about a month ago but hadn’t started it because it was different than what I have done before and, quite honestly, the directions didn’t make any sense to me so I was avoiding. But today was the day. I can say that this was an easy blouse to put together – of course it took me hours to interpret the directions into something that I could understand. So, after 3 hours and several seams that I had to rip out and re-do, I had a shirt that was put together.
Unfortunately, when I cut this out a month ago, I accidentally cut the front as two and the back on the fold. This places a big seam down the middle of the front. You can’t see it on the hanger but it is definitely can be seen when I am wearing it. I might wear it anyway but we’ll see.
Next up was a pair of Style Arc Linda Pants. Style Arc is an Australian company. They send you a single size pattern (unlike the multisized ones sold in stores). The paper they are printed on is nice and thick and I have made another pair of these and they fit with very minimal adjustments. For this pair I decided to make the hips and thighs a little more fitted and make the bottom into a boot cut instead of straight legs. This fabric has a plaid like pattern and so I had to be careful cutting out to match the lines. I was able to match the horizontal lines well on the outer leg seams.
Finally, Amalia asked me to make a maxi skirt for her. A couple of weeks ago I had bought 2 big boxes of fabric off of Craig’s List. There were about 40 yards and many different patterns/weights of fabric. She picked out this really colorful silk-feeling material.
I took her measurements and we just had enough to make a skirt that lands at her ankles. I just sewed it together and put an elastic in the waistband and Voila! she is thrilled and I got experience using this “sport elastic” that I had gotten last month.
So, overall, it was a very productive Mother’s Day. I also was awakened to some presents the kids made at school (including a song sung by the 2nd grade class which was very cute), a picture with Amalia holding a “World’s Best Mom” sign. We went out to an early dinner with Wendy, Pat and Mike and while the adults were eating, the kids went out to play – including the boys pulling their baseball gloves out and throwing the ball in the empty parking lot.
Categories: Family, Sewing, Thankfulness
Leave a Reply