Field Days of the Past

There is an annual carnival at a farm located about 10 miles from my house.  I haven’t had the opportunity to attend it before and since I am back on service next week, I decided to go today with the kids.  In order to do that, we had to get up early.  So, at 7:00 I dragged myself out of the bed and downstairs to start making a supply of pancakes for the next two weeks for breakfasts. 

After breakfast, I cleaned out the kitchen sink (and scrubbed the yellow sink till it was white again!).   Riley had put his cub scout uniform on early this morning and as we were leaving, he dragged Matthew upstairs and made him get his on as well.  I’ll tell you I have two handsome cub scouts – just worried that the novelty will wear off before we even have a den meeting! 

So, we set off to church around 8:40 and get there at 8:55 and …Addison throws a huge fit when we get to the nursery…actually as we drive into the church lot!  I finally peel her off of me and get into church with the boys.  Riley’s behavior was better this week, but he still “had to go to the bathroom” 3 times! 

So, after Church it was home to quickly change out of the cub scout uniforms and go to Field Day of the Past.  So, I didn’t really know what to expect, didn’t really expect a carnival with old-time (read rickety) rides that cost $3-4 per person per 3 minute ride!  Ugh.  And if you really want a great deal, you can buy 25 tickets for $20 – Whoopee!!

So, I finally was able to convince them that there were other things to see.  First we watched a tractor pull.  It was boring once you got past the first 2 or 3 (and the had to wait for the mud to be re-graded for the next tractor!).  I think the biggest hit of the day was the WWII era military vehicles including a tank that you could actually climb into the center of!  All of the kids loved that.

Then we started walking around the exhibits and went by all of the old engines including several steam engines that were hissing and tooting.  By now it was around 12:30 and hot and we were a little dragging so we hopped on a tram (which was a tractor pulling a wagon) and rode around past all of the new and antique tractors, front loaders, diggers and assorted farm equipment.  We got off the wagon when we hit the animals.  We got to see horses, miniature horses, goats, cows (including some babies), ducks, chickens, pigs, and the kid got to hold a tiny baby chick. 

Then the kids rode a makeshift train (made from empty water barrels) painted to look like animals and connected by metal flanges and pulled by a tractor.  We played in a makeshift climbing playground and headed back for a few more rides after eating ice cream cones. 

Finally, the meltdowns started and so we decided to leave.  Finished up with a tractor ride out to the parking lot and we drove home.  Right now I am dealing with the consequences of no naps and mild sunburns.  I will be glad for bedtime. 

All-in-all, it was a successful day.  I got 3 spontaneous “this was a great day, moms” and…isn’t that what it is all about?

Categories: Uncategorized

2 replies

  1. Sounds like a great day, Sue.


  2. Yeah, imagine 3 hours of tractor pull… which is what I sat through Saturday night! 🙂 (I actually did sort of enjoy it for the first 2 hours… my redneck roots, I guess. 🙂 )

    I thought the Field Day of the Past was… interesting… to say the least! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: